A men’s group called “Men of God” is starting to form at our parish. The first meeting on Thursday January 31 at 7:00 pm in the Rectory, will be an organizational meeting. We will discuss what we want from the group, when we can meet and how often. This will give the men in the parish an opportunity to come together to pray, support each other and be Men of God.
In preparation, please watch the following video on YouTube to get a sense of what you can expect from the Men’s Group. Watch: A Call to Battle – A Short Film on ‘Society’s Crisis in Masculinity’ by clicking on the following … LINK
Minutes from Jan. 31 meeting provided by Fr. David …
- Men’s Group 1st meeting January 31, 2019
- Opening prayer: Did a group Lectio Divina using Genesis 1:26-27 and 2:7, 20-24
- After opening prayer we discussed “Lectio Divina”. It is an ancient way of praying with the Sacred Scriptures. The purpose is to help us hear the word of God.
- Reviewed handout “How to pray this way”.
- Briefly discussed the difference between meditation and contemplation
- Offered different materials to the group.
- Show Us the Father – Seven Secrets to be a Father on Earth Like the Father in Heaven (4 books left)
- Joseph’s Way – the call to Fatherly Greatness (1 book left)
- 7 Secrets of St. Joseph For Dads (4 cds left)
- Into the Breach – Exhortation by Bishop Olmsted, Diocese of Phoenix. Different Bishops throughout the United States are calling the men of their dioceses to action. Our own Diocese has been promoting men’s groups and the annual men’s retreat. We watched the video “A call to Battle.” which was created by the Diocese of Phoenix. (I strongly recommend you to watch this video).To download a copy or to listen to it go to Men’s Group 1st meeting January 31, 2019
*** NOTE: Available on 14 HH website at … Men of God LINK.
- Open discussion:
- group needs to address the problems of our world
- be action orientated
- I passed out a questionnaire for the group to look at. The consensus was that it was too long. The suggestion was made to use a short questionnaire to get basic information. Then a second or even maybe a third one to get more information about how they want the group to be shaped.
- Very briefly mentioned about what the name for the group should be ….. No suggestions were made
- Discussed what days work for the group. We decided at least for the next one we would do Monday February 25, 2019 at 7:00 pm in the Rectory
*** NOTE: After the meeting Fr. David decided to schedule an additional meeting on Thursday February 21, at 7:00 PM in the Rectory.