Parish Background

The Diocese of Buffalo purchased the former meeting house on which our church is located from the Community of True Inspiration (known as The Ebenezers) in 1863. The first Mass in the church was celebrated on October 2, 1864.  The Parish Church of the Fourteen Holy Helpers was solemnly dedicated to the service of Almighty God and his people on January 6, 1865 by the First Bishop of Buffalo, the Rt. Rev. John Timon. The Parish Church was dedicated under the title “The Fourteen Holy Helpers”, after the celebrated shrine church at Frankenthal, Germany. Bishop Timon was assisted at the Mass of Dedication by Rev. D. Martin Winands, the first pastor of Fourteen Holy Helpers.